Monday, February 4, 2013
Two adults and two children were displaced by the fire last Friday.
Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department responded to a call at Morning Dew Court around 2:15 p.m. Friday where fire investigators now say an electrical panel started a house fire, according to a recent news release. The electrician who was sent to the Burn Center at Washington Hospital Center after a circuit breaker he was working on exploded sustained non-life threatening injuries. When fire and rescue units arrived, firefighters encountered heavy smoke and fire coming from the bottom level and through the roof of the two-story split level home along with strong and gusty winds while conducting an aggressive fire attack. A second alarm was called due to the heavy wind conditions and the rapid spreading of fire, bringing more than 60 …
Friday, February 1, 2013
Wind gusts Friday add to difficulty for firefighters battling blaze. Two dogs, two cats missing and presumed dead from the fire.
An electrician was sent to the Burn Center at Washington Hospital Center Friday afternoon after a circuit breaker he was working on exploded at a home on Morning Dew Court in Springfield. The extent of his injuries was not known. Firefighters from Fairfax County Fire and Rescue were called to the home at around 2:15 p.m. Friday, said Captain William Moreland. When firefighters arrived they found the home engulfed in flames. "The fire took a good 30 minutes to get under control," he said. "Wind conditions made it more difficult to extinguish the fire." The National Weather Service predicted wind gusts up to 35 MPH Friday for Springfield. According to fire officials, the electrician, from Kolb Electric whose name was not immediately …
Wednesday, June 20, 2012
A VDOT contractor working in the neighborhood knocked on front door to let a man know his house was on fire.
Ahmed Amini, a software developer working from home, escaped a fire at his house Wednesday, thanks to a VDOT contractor who saw smoke billowing from the home. The emergency call came in at 3:06 p.m. about the home on fire in the 8700 block of Etta Drive in West Springfield. Thirty-two firefighters responded from Crosspoint Station 41 and West Springfield Station 27. When they arrived, the upper level of the two-story home was in flames. The roof collapsed shortly thereafter. "It looks like the fire originated somewhere in the attic," said Keith Johnson, deputy chief of special operations for Fairfax County Fire & Rescue. One firefighter was injured with lacerations to his hand. The firefighters quickly brought the fire under control, but …
Friday, June 17, 2011
No one was injured.
A transformer caught fire near a Shell Gas Station, 8851 Richmond Highway, this morning. No one was injured and no cause has been determined for the fire, which was attended to by the Fairfax County Fire Department and a crew from Virginia Dominion Power. "There are a lot of transformer fires in the summer because people are using more power," said Captain Willie Bailey, spokesman for the Fairfax County Fire Department.