South County High School
South County Secondary School (SCSS), home of the Stallions, is the only secondary school in the Lorton area and also the newest, having been built in 2005.
The school is part of the Fairfax County Public School system and is located in Cluster 5.
SCSS is a combined secondary school, meaning it educates students in grades 7 and 8 (between 800 and 900 students) and grades 9 through 12 (between 2000 and 2100 students).
SCSS is both a large school and a diverse school as four different ethnicities each comprise at least 10% of the school population.
Such a dynamic enrollment demands a full of range of choices be made available both in and out of the classroom. SCSS more than fills this demand with more than 20 varsity sports, 20 Advanced Placement classes and more than 50 clubs.
In grades 7 - 12, there are approximatelty 200 teachers and the adminstrative team -- which includes six subschool principals -- is led by Principal Jane Lipp and Associate Principal Rob Sanders.
Test scores at South County have been outstanding since opening its doors, well above state averages and easily meeting state goals.
The school slogain is "Excellenta in omni conatu," which translates to "excellence in all endeavors." The school colors are green and blue.
- Fax: 703-446-1697
- Hours: First period bell is at 7:30am and school ends at 2:10pm. Buses depart at 2:20pm.
- Handicap Accessible: Yes
- Founding Date: Aug 01 2005
- Number of students: 2,900
- Male-to-female ratio: 50 to 50
- Public/Private: Public
- Religious affiliation: None
- Parking: Free lot
- Number of faculty: 60 in grades 7 - 8; 133 in grades 9 - 12
- Grade levels: 7 - 12
- Special education: Yes
- Features: Auditorium/stage, Cafeteria, Computer lab, Library, Science lab, Sports facilities
- Sports teams: South County has more than 20 sports available at Freshmen, Junior Varsity and Varsity levels. A full list, along with schedules and scores, can be found at: www.stallionsports.org.
- Advanced placement courses: More than 20 AP courses are offered. A full list can be viewed at: http://www.fcps.edu/southcountyss/ap_courses_teachers.html.