Laurel Hill Park
Laurel Hill Park is a network of parks, in various stages of development, built on the land previously used for the Lorton Prison. It is bordered on the southwest by the Workhouse Arts Center, on the southeast by the Lorton Landfill, on the northwest by Hooes Road and on the northeast by the South County Secondary School. It is bisected by Lorton Road.
The area covered by Laurel Hill Park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in March 2006, owing to its long association with the prison that stood on the grounds for nearly a century starting in 1910.
Scattered throughout the park are landmarks or notable buildings and structures. Biking and hiking trails weave through the property, allowing visitors to exercise while taking in a variety of flora and fauna. Cyclists are warned to "Brake for (non-poisonous) snakes" and can expect to come across deer year-round.
- Hours: Daily, dawn to dusk
- Handicap Accessible: No
- Founding Date: Aug 01 2002
- Parking: Free lot
- Features: Athletic fields, Benches
- Area: 511 acres