How about that long weekend, huh? Well, there's plenty of events going on this week and weekend in the Lorton area.
1. Don’t Miss: The South County Stallions Varsity football squad is playing their rivals, the Hayfield Hawks, this Friday at 7:30 p.m. at home. How do you think the Stallions will do? They just won their first game against Mount Vernon 56-7.
2. Well, goodbye to swimming season at Pohick Bay Regional Park. And now, say hello to camping season...at Pohick Bay Regional Park!
3. Lorton’s “Centered Being” yoga studio is holding an open house on Sat., Sept. 7, 2013.
4. Sentara Lorton Marketplace is conducting a free skin cancer screening on Sat., Sept. 7, 2013.
5. Like movie music? Sing along at the Workhouse Arts Center on Saturday night, where the Workhouse cabaret singers will belt out favorites from “Singin' in the Rain”, “Showboat” and more!
6. Don’t miss the weekly comedy show at the Workhouse on Sun., Sept. 8! The show, which starts at 7:00 p.m., features comedian Jono Zalay.
7. Want to start a book club? There’s a book club conference at the Fairfax County Government Center on Sat. Sept. 7, from 9 a.m. - 1:45 p.m. The topic: Running and enhancing book clubs. Speakers include Will Schwalbe, author of “The End of Your Life Book Club” and Washington Post reviewer Michael Dirda.Have a great week!