Summer is almost over, and the brand new South County Middle School is opening its doors this week to students and parents alike.
Is someone you know going to be attending South County Middle School? They'll want to check out these three events this month:
The Mustang Round-up
- Prepare your kids for school by picking up their schedules, buy their physical education uniform, and sign up for the parent-viewed Blackboard portal, which allows you to see homework assignments online.
- Wednesday, Aug. 29, 5-7 p.m.
Seventh Grade Locker Night
For some kids, this will be their first experience with a locker. "Students have five minutes between classes, and combination lockers can add some stress at first," said Stokes. "Within a month they're wizards with them."
- Thursday, Aug. 30, 5-7 p.m.
Seventh and Eight Grade Student Orientation
- Students spend less than 10 minutes at each class period in their schedules
- Students meet teachers without parental supervision
- Friday, Aug. 31, 8:30-10:30 a.m.
(Parents will be allowed to attend their own orientation at the school from 8:45-10 a.m.)
First Day of School
The first official school bell will ring at South County Middle School at 7:55 a.m. on Tuesday, Sept. 4. The school is the first of six that will be visited that day by Fairfax County Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Jack Dale, who is expected to arrive at 8:30 a.m. Mount Vernon District School Board Rep. Dan Storck will also be at the school on opening day.
Keep up with all things Lorton with the Lorton Patch email newsletter and breaking news alerts. Learn more here.