I am a huge fan of lists. Give me the bullet points! Long-winded explanations will often elicit an internal "eye roll" and I tune out. So I've assembled the top ten reasons for buying original art and thought I'd share it with you.
10. You just moved into a rental home or apartment and the landlord says, "no way Jose" to your request to paint the walls.
9. Original artworks are one of a kind. You will have successfully one-upped the Joneses. Now you're the trendsetter of the neighborhood!
8. As a consumer you know that you've got purchasing POWER. To that end, you buy local produce to support local farms. Buying local, original art is an investment in your community.
7. You can get a great deal! Most artists are happy to negotiate prices and want you to buy their work.
6. Original artwork is loaded with positive energy, as the maker isn't creating the work in a filthy sweatshop.
5. Customization. Most artists take on all sorts of commissions. Bring in a photo or stop into a studio (like the Workhouse Arts Center) and have a chat with an artist whose style appeals to you.
4. Outstanding dinner parties. Unique artwork makes for riveting discussion. Heck, you could even invite the artist, host a talk, and be the toast of the town.
3. Financial rewards. Artwork is an investment that appreciates. Cars and computers depreciate moment they leave the shop, but you might have bought the next million-dollar painting.
2. Cultural exchange. View the world through the eyes of another.
1. Reconnect with your inner child and play in the land of imagination. Remember the scene in Mary Poppins when they jump into the chalk drawings on the street? Wouldn’t it be awesome to have a work of art in your home or office that you could escape into? Oh the power of paintings!
(The author is an artist at Lorton's Workhouse Arts Center.)