For children the holidays are full of magic and wonder, but as adults we tend to stop believing in Santa and get ourselves wrapped up in the hustle and bustle of preparing for the holidays. Two new holiday performances at the Workhouse offer both kids and their parents an opportunity to take a break from the shopping and spend some time together rediscovering what the holidays really mean.
A Magical Christmas is storybook tale brought to life onstage by live actors and actresses. The story is set in a little town in Maine called Believe. A little girl named Joy moves to the town of Believe to live with her grandfather and notices something strange about this little town. Santa hasn’t stopped there for many years—in fact, he doesn’t even know that it exists! Joy’s grandfather decides to do something about it and make sure that this year’s Christmas will be the most magical ever! This performance by Mestey Films Productions is perfect for children of all ages with a running time of 75 minutes with one intermission.
Drumming with Dishes: The Holiday Edition is an interactive, nonverbal musical performance geared towards toddlers and very young children. Follow the journey of an adventurous toddler and her imaginary friend as they cook up music and fun! Pasta boxes become shakers and bowls turn into drums, transforming an ordinary kitchen into a magical holiday musical experience. Children will have the opportunity to interact with the performance by helping make music offstage during the performance. Laugh and play along during this whimsical children’s performance! Running time is 35 minutes.
If you have seen either of these shows, please add your comments to this blog! We love to hear from our audience!
THIS WEEK AT THE WORKHOUSE
- 30X30: 30 Works in 30 Days, November 23-December 30 in the McGuireWoods Gallery.
- Crystal Rodrigue: Drift, November 23-December 30 in the McGuireWoods Gallery.
- 2nd Saturday Art Walk, December 8, 6-9pm, Campus-wide, FREE!
- Live Onstage: The Cecil Ray Comedy Club, December 8 in the W-3 Theatre.
- A Magical Christmas Children’s Theatre in W-3 Theatre, December 1 at 1pm.
- Drumming with Dishes: The Holiday Edition Children’s Theatre in W-3 Theatre, December 7 at 10:30am, December 8 at 9:45am & 11:15am, December 9 at 11am.
- Workhouse Associate Artists December 5-January 2, Vulcan Gallery.
- December exhibitions in all seven studio buildings, Vulcan Gallery.
- Workhouse Prison Museum in Building W-9.
- Workhouse Farmers Market every Thursday 3-6pm on the Workhouse Quad.
Stop by and visit us!
The Workhouse is open Wednesday – Saturday from 11am – 7pm and Sundays from 12 – 5pm. The Workhouse Prison Museum is open Wednesday – Friday from 12 – 3pm and Saturday – Sunday from 12 – 4pm. Visit www.WorkhouseArts.org for more information, to purchase tickets or to register for classes.
Director of Marketing
Workhouse Arts Center . . . Escape to Arts & Entertainment!