Have you made your Valentine’s Day plans? Looking for a special and creative way to show your love for your sweetheart? We have a variety of Workhouse events and classes that celebrate Valentine’s Day. Several artists around campus have created special Valentine’s Day cards, artwork and gifts that are available for purchase as well.
Here at the Workhouse we have plenty of ideas on how to make your Valentine’s Day unforgettable!
- For Love: Collection Saturday does your Valentine love art? Learn about art collecting while celebrating your Valentine’s Day together during this special Collection Saturday on February 9. This event will feature the Collectors Showcase exhibition, artist demos, special sales in the artist gift shop, campus tours, a film about collecting art, discussions about art and light refreshments. Click here to learn more.
- Partner Yoga: for those active couples and those couples looking to try something new! You can bring your significant other, or best friend, and have fun learning partner yoga poses, positions and techniques! No prior yoga experience is necessary. Partner yoga will be held on Sunday, February 17th, from 2-3pm. Tuition costs $20 per couple. Register now by clicking here.
- Sweetheart Dinner: a cooking class perfect for two! A special Valentine’s Day couples cooking class taught by Chef Kathleen Linton. You and your partner can learn fun cooking techniques while preparing an array of international gourmet appetizer dishes with hands-on instruction. Sweetheart Dinner will be held on Wednesday, February 13 from 6-9pm. Tuition costs $80 per couple and requires a materials fee of $25 that covers fresh foods used in class. Register now by clicking here.
- Hot Glass Workshops: Valentine’s Heart Paperweight: surprise your Valentine with a beautiful Valentine’s Heart paperweight and learn some new artistic skills! These one day workshops are perfect for beginners looking for a fast and fun introduction to working in hot glass. Two sessions are available: Saturday, February 2, 10am-1pm and Saturday, February 9, 10am-1pm. Tuition costs $125. Register now by clicking here.
- Heart’s Content: make your Valentine’s gift personal by learning how to make heart-shaped beads! Discover four ways to make on-mandrel beads and explore surface decoration methods. This one-day workshop is perfect for beginners, both young adults and adults. Take this class with a friend! Class will be held on Saturday, February 2 from 10am-12:30pm. Tuition costs $50 per person with an addition materials fee of $15. Register now by clicking here.
- Social Ballroom: bring your Valentine and join us on the dance floor! Every third Saturday, a Social Ballroom Dance is held in the McGuireWoods Gallery. $5 per person for a short mini-lesson focusing on a different style of ballroom dance each month. February’s mini-lesson will feature the Rhumba. $10 per person gets you into the Social Dance. Complimentary refreshments and a cash bar will be available. Make your reservations by clicking here.
- Chef’s Table: you and your sweetheart can get creative in the kitchen! Every third Saturday, a one-day cooking workshop for couples is held in the Vulcan Gallery. Learn side by side with your valentine as you prepare an exciting new dish together. All participants will be served a tasting portion of the dish and no one will go hungry! Tuition is $80 per couple and includes non-alcoholic drinks, with a cash bar available for alcoholic beverages. Registrations must be made at least two days prior to event date. Register now by clicking here.
- Comedy Nights: treat your Valentine to a night of laughter and fun! The Cecil Ray Comedy Club will be performing on Saturday, February 16 at 7pm. In celebration of Valentine’s Day, all ladies who attend the Cecil Ray Comedy Club show will receive a complimentary rose. Later in February, comedy returns to the Workhouse with Cool Cow Comedy presents Jermaine Fowler, two shows on February 23 at 8pm & 10pm!
- Dinner & a Movie Night: does your Valentine love good films and great food? Bring your Valentine to this unique arts experience combining culinary and cinema featuring the 1954 film Carmen Jones on Friday, February 8! Carmen Jones is Oscar Hammerstein’s 1954 spin on Bizet’s classic opera “Carmen” set in an all African-American army camp during the Korean War. "Hot bundle" Carmen Jones is desired by many of the men. Naturally, she wants Joe, who's engaged to sweet Cindy Lou and about to go into military pilot training. Going after him, she succeeds only in getting him into trouble. The accompanying three course meal will be inspired by the themes or regions featured in this film! Tickets are $45 per person, including film, dinner & soft drinks. Click here for more information and to buy tickets!
- For Money or Love: what could be better than a Valentine’s Day film screening? On Saturday, February 9, you and your sweetheart can see Mestey Films Productions’ For Money or Love. The film tells the story of Patrick, a wealthy man who finds himself wondering if his fiancé is with him for who he is or for his money. His older brother, Sean is known for being a playboy. But, when he falls in love with a woman that has an 8-year-old daughter, his life takes a different direction. This film is rated PG-13. Tickets are $10 for general admission. Click here to buy tickets.
Looking for the perfect Valentine’s Day gift?
- Nothing says ‘I love you’ like a unique work of art! Fill the empty wall in your Valentine’s home. With over 100 different artists with work on display around campus, you are sure to find something that your Valentine will love.
- Don’t forget that signing up a loved one for an art class can also make a great Valentine’s Day gift! Give your Valentine the chance to try out that new cooking class, revitalize his/her painting skills, try his/her hand at blown glass or spice up his/her exercise routine with our Art of Movement classes.
- Looking for a unique date? Impress your Valentine by showing them your cultured side. Take your Valentine for a stroll around our historic campus, while browsing our artists’ open studios and galleries. You are sure to discover something new together at the Workhouse Arts Center.
THIS WEEK AT THE WORKHOUSE
- Collectors Showcase 2013, January 26- February 23 in the McGuireWoods Gallery.
- Drink This! The Workhouse International Ceramic Cup Show, January 9-February 10 in Building W-8.
- Cabaret Series at the Workhouse: Notorious!, in the W-3 Theatre, February 2 at 8pm.
- Sleeping Beauty—The Broken Spell, Children’s Theater in the W-3 Theatre, February 2 at 1pm.
- Workhouse Associate Artists January 9-February 3, Vulcan Gallery.
- February exhibitions in all seven artist studio buildings.
- Workhouse Prison Museum in Building W-9.
Stop by and visit us!
The Workhouse is open Wednesday – Saturday from 11am – 7pm and Sundays from 12 – 5pm. The Workhouse Prison Museum is open Wednesday – Friday from 12 – 3pm and Saturday – Sunday from 12 – 4pm. Visit www.WorkhouseArts.org for more information, to purchase tickets or to register for classes.
Director of Marketing
Workhouse Arts Center . . . Escape to Arts & Entertainment!