As the summer nights start to get cooler and the kids start buying back-to-school supplies, many of us want to hold onto all the summer fun just a little longer. Summer is still going strong at the Workhouse and this weekend there is a final chance to bring the family out for a free open-air summer concert. The last of the Mount Vernon Nights summer concert series will be held this Saturday, August 25 at 7pm, featuring Alexandria Kleztet, a creative and exciting musical group that combines the sounds of Jewish music and jazz.
Over the weekend, there is also one last chance to check out a great exhibition. The 2nd Annual Clay National Ceramics Exhibition will be open in the McGuireWoods Gallery in W-16 until Sunday, August 26. This exhibition represents the depth and breadth of contemporary functional and sculptural ceramic artworks being created throughout the country. Peter Held of Arizona State University Art Museum’s Ceramics Research Center juried over 380 applicants to select 49 pieces of art which incorporate a contemporary spirit as well as a technical mastery of the material. The show is a rare opportunity to see a variety of styles and techniques which encompass the field of contemporary ceramic arts.
If you are looking for a good laugh this weekend, then get your tickets early for this Friday’s Live Stand Up Comedy Show! Cool Cow Comedy Presents: Randolph Terrance, Tim Miller and Andy Kline in the W-3 Theatre, with one performance only at 8pm. Tickets are $15 in advance and $20 at the door, but advance registrations are strongly recommended, previous performances have sold out.
THIS WEEK AT THE WORKHOUSE
- 2nd Annual Workhouse Clay National Exhibition in the McGuireWoods Gallery, July 25 – August 26.
- Workhouse Associate Artists in the Vulcan Gallery, August 8 – September 2.
- August exhibitions in all seven studio buildings and the Vulcan Gallery.
- Workhouse Prison Museum in Building W-9.
- Workhouse Farmers Market Thursday 3:30–7pm on the Workhouse Quad.
- Cool Cow Comedy Presents: Randolph Terrance, Tim Miller, and Andy Kline in the Workhouse W-3 Theatre at 8pm.
- Mount Vernon Nights at the Workhouse features Alexandria Kleztet (Jazz/Jewish) Saturday at 7pm on the Quad.
Stop by and visit us!
The Workhouse is open Wednesday – Saturday from 11am – 7pm and Sundays from 12 – 5pm. The Workhouse Prison Museum is open Wednesday – Friday from 12 – 3pm and Saturday – Sunday from 12 – 4pm. Visit www.WorkhouseArts.org for more information, to purchase tickets or to register for classes.
Director of Marketing
Workhouse Arts Center . . . Escape to Arts & Entertainment!