Now that the Thanksgiving leftovers have been eaten, the warmer weather has become a fleeting memory and everyone has started compiling shopping lists of gifts for loved ones, we can really begin to feel that the holiday spirit has returned to us this year. The holiday season preparations and celebrations are in full force here at the Workhouse Arts Center, beginning with last week’s Escape to Black Friday event. Escape to Black Friday was a huge success, bringing much of the community here to campus for the delicious Farmers Market treats, exciting artist demos & workshops, as well as to get a head start on the holiday shopping.
But, the winter fun has only gotten started! Hear all of your favorite holiday tunes at the next installment of the Cabaret Series at the Workhouse: Holiday Magic this Saturday, December 1. Be sure to buy your tickets early online because the last installment “Broadway Memories” sold out and was unable to accommodate walk-ins. The Workhouse is also proud to announce the return of Children’s Theater with two all new holiday shows: “A Magical Christmas” & “Drumming with Dishes: The Holiday Edition.”
And, don’t forget about all of your holiday shopping! With more than 100 artists, 8 studio buildings and 10 galleries, there are endless works of art that will make wonderful holiday gifts for families and friends. Everything from unique paintings to hand-made ornaments to cozy hats and scarves are for sale in a variety of price ranges, with something for every budget. Many Workhouse artists have created special works for the holiday season. Support your local community by shopping local and buying local this year.
Really stumped on what to get for someone on your list? Give the gift of “Friendship” this holiday season! “Friends of the Workhouse” enjoy benefits and special opportunities at the Workhouse throughout the year, so you can give someone special the gift that keeps on giving! Benefit levels range from $50-$5000 and support the Workhouse and our community of artists. See our website for details.
THIS WEEK AT THE WORKHOUSE
- 30X30: 30 Works in 30 Days, November 23-December 30 in the McGuireWoods Gallery.
- Crystal Rodrigue: Drift, November 23-December 30 in the McGuireWoods Gallery.
- Cabaret Series at the Workhouse: Holiday Magic on December 1 in W-3 Theater.
- “A Magical Christmas” Children’s Theatre in W-3 Theatre, December 1 at 1pm.
- “Drumming with Dishes: The Holiday Edition” Children’s Theatre in W-3 Theatre, November 30 at 10:30am, December 1 at 9:45am & 11:15am, December 2 at 11am.
- Workhouse Associate Artists November 7-December 2, Vulcan Gallery.
- November exhibitions in all seven studio buildings, Vulcan Gallery.
- Workhouse Prison Museum in Building W-9.
- Workhouse Farmers Market every Thursday 3-6pm on the Workhouse Quad.
Stop by and visit us!
The Workhouse is open Wednesday – Saturday from 11am – 7pm and Sundays from 12 – 5pm. The Workhouse Prison Museum is open Wednesday – Friday from 12 – 3pm and Saturday – Sunday from 12 – 4pm. Visit www.WorkhouseArts.org for more information, to purchase tickets or to register for classes.
Director of Marketing
Workhouse Arts Center . . . Escape to Arts & Entertainment!