"During the summer, an average of two fewer donors give blood at each Red Cross blood drive than what patients need since vacations and other summer activities conflict with donation appointments for many regular donors," according to the American Red Cross.
How to Prep for a Successful Donation
- Maintain a healthy iron level in your diet by eating iron rich foods, such as red meat, fish, poultry, beans, spinach, iron-fortified cereals and raisins.
- Get a good night's sleep.
- Drink an extra 16 oz. of water or nonalcoholic fluids before the donation.
- Eat a healthy meal before your donation. Avoid fatty foods, such as hamburgers, fries or ice cream before donating.
- If you are a platelet donor, remember that your system must be free of aspirin for two days prior to donation.
- Remember to bring your donor card, driver's license or two other forms of ID.