Hooes Road Bridge Reopens
It's been closed since July.
The Hooes Road Bridge over Accotink Creek is back. The Virginia Department of Transportation re-opened the three-span, 150-foot-long structure, on Dec. 28.
Repairs on the $1.25 million project began in July, and included:
- removal of the timber deck, asphalt surface, steel beams and bearings
- removal of abutment tops, piers and approach guardrails.
- modification of concrete abutments and piers for new superstructure
- placement of new bearings, steel beams and constructing new deck and railings
- repavement of approach pavement and
- new guardrail installation.
VDOT estimates that 330 vehicles use the bridge on a daily basis.
Some small repairs remain, and the entire project is estimated to be completed in April by contractor Martins Construction Company.