Three Injured in Lorton Fire on Furnace Road
Injuries described as non-life-threatening at fire in office park. Two taken to hospital, one taken to burn center.
Firefighters were called out to a Lorton business park at 10440 Furnace Road for a fire reported at about 11 a.m. today, according to Fairfax County Fire and Rescue.
Three reportedly suffered non-life-threatening injuries in the fire, said Dan Schmidt, spokesman for the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department. The injuries were minor. Two were sent to the hospital and one person was sent to a burn unit.
The fire was reported after an air-handling system malfunctioned in the building, fire officials said.
“The sprinklers in the building activated and we responded to make sure the fire was out,” Schmidt said.
The fire was extinguished, but firefighters remained on scene to do some ventilation in the area.
The building is part of a larger office park. It houses businesses including Five Guys Enterprises, Stuart Kitchens, Inc., and American Systems. American Systems provides systems engineering, technical, and managed services to government customers, according to their website. Office workers had to remain outside for up to two hours while officials ventilated the area.
Fire officials and office workers on the scene declined to say where the fire started.